Open Monument Day -Queich Line Bellheim
The Open Monument Day is always a day of action for the cultural association, which brings the historical heritage of the region to life with exhibitions and guided tours in the "Old Sawmill Mittelmühle". This year, the Queich line, which passed very close to the Mittelmühle, is the thematic focus.
The Südpfalz-Tourismus VG Bellheim is once again coordinating the "Open Monument Day" for the municipality of Bellheim on Sunday, 12.09.2021, this time under the motto "Being & Appearance - in History, Architecture and Monument Preservation".
"Alte Sägewerk - Mittelmühle" (Mittelmühlstr. 7a/ 76756 Bellheim): Interested visitors can gain an insight into the partly listed "Altes Sägewerk" (since the 2000s a cultural venue) with its spacious outdoor area between 11:00 and 17:00. The "Mittelmühle" estate (now an architect's office) will also open its doors to visitors for guided tours.
The ensemble was part of the French Queich line during the Habsburg War of Succession (18th century). A nearby (restored) redoubt is a reminder of this. Guided tours on various topics as required.
Contact: Kulturverein Bellheim e.V., www.kulturverein-bellheim.de or Tel.: 0173 - 8996243
|Event End Date||30.11.2016|
Venue Information - Queich line
The Queichlines were built as field fortifications in the Austrian War of Succession from 1743. They reached from Annweiler via Landau to the Rhine. French sources only include the section from Landau to the Rhine. East of Queichheim, the Queich could be completely diverted from 1744/45. Approx. 30 dams with upstream entrenchments were built for large-scale flooding. The lines were planned by French military engineers (including Cormontaigne). The Electoral Palatinate, with the Oberamt Germersheim almost exclusively affected, was allied with France in this war and supported the construction. After the peace treaty in 1748, the lines now showed a political dimension. From the French point of view, it made sense to continue to maintain the lines and thus control the area between the Landau fortress and the Rhine on a permanent basis. A contractual basis was achieved with the Schwetzingen Treaty between France and Palatinate in 1766. With the start of the Revolutionary Wars in 1792, the ramparts around Offenbach, Ottersheim and Bellheim were reinforced with new entrenchments, and a redoubt was built at the northern entrance to Hördt, whose moat still shows the outlines of the leveled facility. After the entire left bank of the Rhine had become part of France, the Queich lines had lost their military importance. After Napoleon's abdication in 1814, the border of the Kingdom of France was initially based on the Queich lines. Only after Napoleon's final defeat at Waterloo was the border between France and the German states moved to the Lauter, so that the southern Palatinate was slammed into Bavaria in 1816. 10 years later, the lines were dragged apart from small remnants.