Cultural heritage fortified monuments
in the Upper Rhine region
The history of fortress construction on the Upper Rhine stretches from simple wooden fortifications and earth walls that are thousands of years old, to Roman forts and the Limes, to medieval castles and city walls. The upcoming of firearms led to completely new fortification elements for castles, palaces and cities. New, powerful fortress cities and fortress systems emerged and have been steadily strengthened and expanded, especially over the past 350 years.
On initiative of the fortress town of Germersheim, accompanied by FORTE CULTURA, the Eurodistrict PAMINA and the Touristik-Gemeinschaft Baden-Elsass-Pfalz e.V. (Vis-à-Vis), a fortress community has been created as part of a cross-border project that currently includes 30 fortified monuments and museums on both sides of the Franco-German Border.
We present the individual sites in our FORTE CULTURA fortress portrait on the fortress partners on the Upper Rhine. In addition, the fortress town of Germersheim, Fort Schoenenbourg and the regional network "Fortresses and Military History on the Upper Rhine 1929-1999" have their own detailed fortress portraits as stations of the European Cultural Route FORTE CULTURA.
Fortress Summer Upper Rhine 2021
The fortresses and museums of the Upper Rhine region offer a wide range of events on both sides of the border as part of the European Fortress Summer 2021. Over 70 events and cultural events are planned from April to October 2021 (please note the current Corona information on the websites of the organizers).
An online press conference on April 15, 2021 in Germersheim does not only presented the new Upper Rhine fortress community, but does also opened the European Fortress Summer 2021, powered by FORTE CULTURA - EFFORTS. All events you'll find in our FORTE CULTURA online event calendar soon.
Press conference of 15th April 2021 (de-fr)
inclusive expert lecture on the fortress heritage of the last 350 years in the Upper Rhine region
European Fortress Summer 2018 in the Fortress Germersheim